Stan Getz Community

Remembering Stan...

I am always on the lookout for rare or hard to find recordings from Stan.
This would be a great place to talk about our latest discoveries.

Well to start the ball rolling. About a month ago I was told about
the Gerald Wilson Big Band Modern reissue. 15 tracks altogether.
Tracks 1-8 are a reissue from a 1954 studio session. Tracks 9-15
are a previously unissued 1950 concert in San Francisco's Veterans Memorial
with guest stars Wardell Gray, Stan Getz and Zoot Sims.
Each one of these great sax players is given a showcase
tune and they finish the concert all blowing great solos and trading fours
on Hollywood Freeway.

Stan plays the beautiful "Out Of Nowhere". The way he quotes Broadway is just
too much;)

Denis

Views: 6008

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Billie Holiday Billie Holiday at The Storyville Club (1951)
"This Billie Holiday set works for me in so many ways. The small combo playing behind her is simplicity and utility at its finest. The intimate supper club sound ( I love the introduction .)The slurring, just behind the beat vocals ( and this is latter day Billie, so what you get are the seasoned, almost world -weary vocals that are a bit deeper, but more nuanced). It features my favorite performance of I Cover the Waterfront ever. Ever. This is one cd I will turn to again and again, one that I could not do without and Very Highly Recommended. "
"Billie Holiday's voice is superb, and the musicians that back
her up keep it relaxed and genuine."

Credits:

Stan Getz / Billie Holiday
Billie Holiday (vocals)
Stan Getz (tenor sax)
Buster Harding (piano)
John Fields (bass)
Marquis Foster (drums)

Tracklist:

01 You're Driving Me Crazy
02 Lover Come Back To Me
03 Ain't Nobody's Bizz-Ness If I Do
04 He's Funny That Way
05 Billie's Blues
06 Miss Brown To You
07 Detour Ahead
08 Starnge Fruit
09 Aint Nobody Bizz-Ness If I Do
10 All Of Me
11 I Love You Porgy
12 Miss Brown To You
13 Billie's Blues
14 Lover Man
15 Them There Eyes
16 My Man
17 I Cover The Waterfront
18 Crazy He Calls Me
19 Lover Come Back To Me

Denis Ouellet said:
Billie Holiday and Stan Getz

Recorded at Storyville in Boston on
October 29 1951.

Stan backing up Billie Holiday. Of course Stan
is not taking any solos, strictly playing obligatos.

The tracks are

Ain't Nobody's Business, Lover Come Back To Me and
You're Driving Me Crazy.

5 min 51 seconds of music from Stan and Billie together.
That's all we have as far as I know.
Maybe somewhere some other recordings exist ?

The personnel is
Buster Harding piano, John Fields bass and Marquis Foster
drums.

From the Billie Holiday at Storyville CD

Denis

THE PEACOCKS (1975) with JIMMIE ROWLES
The Peacocks with Jimmie Rowles, Stan Getz,Beverly Getz (1975)
Credits:
Stan Getz (ts) Jimmie Rowles (p, vo) Buster Williams (b -7/11) Elvin Jones (d -7/11) Beverly Getz, Jon Hendricks, Judy Hendricks, Michele Hendricks (vo -11)

Tracklist:

01 I'll Never Be The Same
02 Lester Left Town
03 Body And Soul
04 What Am I Here For?
05 Serenade To Sweden
06 The Chess Players
07 The Peacocks
08 My Buddy
09 The Hour Of Parting
10 Rose Marie
11 This Is All I Ask
12 Skylark
13 Mosaic/Would You Like To Take A Walk

Tenor saxophonist Stan Getz's career as a producer for Sony Music came late in his overall career as a sometimes-troubled jazz veteran. The odd thing is that his personal troubles, of which there were some real doozies, never seemed to disrupt the music. And his second outing as a producer features some of the most unshakably calm stuff in his oeuvre. Getz's intent on Peacocks was to bring the under appreciated Jimmy Rowles to the fore, allowing the pianist to shine with his remarkable, long-lasting sense of balladry and seasoned, rough, romantic voice. Together, Rowles and Getz shine on several duets, including the wondrous, low-key swing of "What Am I Here For?" and the sublime flow of Rowles's "The Peacocks." It's not all butter, though, as Getz calls on drummer Elvin Jones and bassist Buster Williams to create a strong, supple quartet on a pair of Wayne Shorter numbers, "Lester Left Town" and "The Chess Players." The latter tune features Jon, Judy, and Michelle Hendricks along with Beverly Getz. Rowles knocks off a couple solo tracks, both showing off his reach--from swing era and Tin Pan Alley phrasing to hints of more daring execution. Through it all, though, Getz plays his heart out, milking every phrase for its musical core and the breathy shell just around the tone. It's a magnificent display, top to bottom. --Andrew Bartlett

"This is a wonderful record, and anyone who is a fan of Stan Getz will enjoy his excellent playing here, with great company -- Jimmy Rowles, an idiosyncratic and charming pianist who was somewhat underappreciated because he spent most of his career on the west coast, and the greats Buster Williams and Elvin Jones. A couple of performances here are real classics -- especially "The Peacocks", a beautiful tune which was also performed by some other fine musicians for the soundtrack of the film "Round Midnight." My only quibble is the Jon Hendricks vocal additions on two tunes -- he transcribed two of Getz's improvised solos and overdubbed sung versions of the solos later, so it sounds like Getz and the singers are improvising together. I find the effect weird. And especially on this GREAT performance of Wayner Shorter's "The Chess Players" (why is this incredibly swinging tune not played more often?) I dearly wish I could hear it without the voices. If anyone from Columbia happens to read this -- there are many of us fans out here waiting for a re-release of this album with a bonus track WITHOUT the voices. What heaven that would be."

"This title has always been a jazz ballad hallmark, hailed by the '70s and '80s jazz critics, but now largely forgotten. Rowles' relaxed style allows Getz and company to stretch out and explore the songs. "The Peacocks" is a minor key blues ballad that allows Getz to express his trademark mournful style. Lester Left Town is a classic Shorter hard bop song, and is a sample of the rich variety the bop composition could contain. (The other classic Shorter composition, the Chess Players, adds strange lyrics which have nothing to do with chess). Hasn't dated one bit!!!"

Link to download:
http://rapidshare.com/files/80200227/the_peacocks.rar.html

just say Thank You if you get a copy,Rick......;-)

DIANE SCHUUR - Timeless (1986)
Diane Schuur Timeless 1986
Credits:
Chuck Findley, Warren Luening (tp) Stan Getz, Jack Nimitz, Bill Perkins, Bill Reichenbach, Tom Scott (sax) Dave Grusin, Mike Lang (key) Lee Ritenour (g) Chuck Domanico (b) Steve Schaefer (d) Larry Bunker (per) Diane Schuur (vo) unidentified strings, and others NYC, 1985

Tracklist:

01 How Long Has This Been Going On
02 Easy To Love
03 Come Rain Or Come Shine
04 How About Me
05 Do Nothin' Till You Hear From Me
06 A Time For Love
07 I Can't Believe That You're In Love With Me
08 Please Send Me Someone To Love
09 Impossible
10 Travelin' Blues
11 Too Late Now
12 Don't Like Goodbyes

"A "Grammy Award" winning classic, when this masterpiece came out on old vinyl in the 80'S, I completely wore out several copies! This great singer is the real thing and Diane is at her peak vocally plus sings in such a deeply soulful and hauntingly brilliant manner that make this collection of classics a "must have" for anyone who enjoys a great voice!!! Add this all up and you have a totally satisfying work full of classic performances...from the jazzy feel of "HOW LONG HAS THIS BEEN GOING ON?" & "EASY TO LOVE" to the lush romantic passion of "A TIME FOR LOVE" & "DON'T LIKE GOODBYES" to the hot, burning and bluesy athem "PLEASE SEND SOMEBODY TO LOVE", this is a wondrous set full of variety with sublime and passionate performances that will give years of listening pleasure...don't miss this one!!!! BRAVO DIANE SCHUUR!!! You are truly the most gifted singer of your generation!!!!! "

"I had never heard of Diane Shuur until until I saw her on TV, probably in '86 or '87. When she starting singing, I got one of those rare shocks in life when you realize you are in the presence of genius. The next day I bought this album (and, yes, this was back when there were albums). I didn't like all the songs on it, but the ones I did liked, I thought were wonderful. It's hard to describe her voice--"pure" comes to mind. How to describe this album? Smooth jazz, maybe, the kind you sometimes her in nightclubs if you're lucky. Wonderful album, by a wonderful singer."

Link to download:
http://rapidshare.com/files/81457712/ds-timeless192_kbsf.rar.html

Just Please say Thanks if you grab a copy......;-) Rick.
Attachments:

DIANE SCHUUR - Deedless (1984)

Credits:
Stan Getz (ts) Dave Grusin (p, syn) Don Grusin (syn) Howard Roberts (g) Dan Dean (b) Moyres Lucas (d) Diane Schuur (vo)

Tracklist:

01 The Very Thought Of You
02 New York State Of Mind
03 Teach Me Tonight
04 I'm Beginning To See The Light
05 I'll Close My Eyes
06 Reverend Lee
07 I'm Just Foolin' Myself
08 Rock Me On The Water
09 Can't Stop A Woman In Love
10 Amazing Grace

"You won't believe your ears! "I'll Close My Eyes" is masterful. "Teach Me Tonight" is a gorgeous classic. "New York State of Mind" has soulful style. "Reverend Lee" and "Can't Stop a Woman in Love are cookers! "Amazing Grace" will blow you away! Every cut is brilliant. She completely demonstrates her vocal range and ability to sing any and every style. Diane Shuur transcends all cultural, her soul is deep, her voice is p-l-e-a-s-u-r-e. This CD is a must-have. "

"I never heard of Diane until she duet-ted with Barry Manilow on his 1987 release "Swing Street." I thought theirs was a great pairing, and I fell in love with Diane. I was somewhat limited in my collection space for cd's and the only album I owned of Diane's was "Collection" released two years after Barry's "Swing Street." I was in a small Cafe in Cincinnati, where I grew up and stayed until my late twenties, and I heard the familiar opening bars of "New York State Of Mind" someone had selected from the cd jukebox. I didn't really think anything of it, the song's been covered so many times. Then the voice I fell in love with started singing the opening lines, I stopped eating to listen to this song and beat myself up for not knowing of its existence. I went to the record store and small space be damned, bought the album (cd) the same day, and have been collecting ever since.
Diane was living and performing as a local artist in Seattle, Washington when she was discovered by Nancy Reagan. Diane, with her late mentor Stan Getz, performed at the White House and was signed to GRP shortly thereafter. To capture Diane's vocal at her most comfortable, the lead vocal and rhythm tracks were recorded in her home city, then flown to California for additional recording, mixing and mastering. The end result is the excellent debut album. Diane's vocal performance is flawless, the post production not overdone, the song selection perfect. "Teach Me Tonight" is reborn, the song reappears on "Collection." "New York State Of Mind" is second to the original and overlooked for "Collection," it's artistic integrity is vindicated due to its appearance on her "The Very Best Of." A favorite track is "I'll Close My Eyes." The synthesizer is clearly overdubbed to "fill out" the song, but it's not a distraction. Diane's vocal on this particular song is very intimate. "The Very Thought Of You," complete with soft, subdued strings, is a great opener. This album is a great opener for what's been, and is, a marvelous career for a marvelous singer."

"Diane Schuur is a very terrific singer. She can move from blues to gospel into jazz with the appearance that it is effortless for her to do so. She has a tremendous ability to belt out a song when necessary, but can also change into a torch singer and frankly some of her best work would have to be termed as jazz. She can pierce straight to the heart with a song like "Ill Close My Eyes." Diane Schuur is one of my favorites and i guess that explains why i am trying to collect all of her work. Diane has great taste in the selection of her arrangers, because the tunes she sings have been carefully selected and arranged so that she is showcased to her best advantage. I always eagerly look forward to any new album she has on the cd racks."

And also it is with one of my most favorite west coast Guitarist ever Howard Roberts, so I Loved this CD for that also.

Link to download:
http://rapidshare.com/files/81429619/ds-deedles.rar.html

It's all about the share people.... Rick

Sorry posted the cover,but here is the front to go with the back......oops
Festival de Jazz de Cannes 1958
Palais des Festivals

July 12
Stan GETZ (ts), Martial SOLAL (p), Pierre MICHELOT (b), Kenny CLARKE (dr)
- "Broadway"
- "East of the sun"
- "Ghost of a chance"
- "All God's chillun got rhythm"

Jam session with Dizzy GILLESPIE (tp), Stan GETZ (ts), Barney WILEN (ts), Sacha DISTEL (g), Martial SOLAL (p), Pierre MICHELOT (b), Kenny CLARKE (dr)
- "Eternal triangle"

July 13
Coleman Hawkins, Don Byas, Barney Wilen, Guy Lafitte, Stan Getz (ts),
Martial Solal (p), Arvell Shaw (b), J. C. Heard (dr)
- "Indiana changes"

Recorded by ORTF (French radio and TV) , archived by INA (Institut National de l'Audiovisuel)
Richard Ransom said:
Stan Getz Early Stan 1953

This two-LP set includes seven sessions from 1949-50 and one from 1953 that feature the great tenor-saxophonist Stan Getz. Getz is heard with a Terry Gibbs septet, in quartets with either pianist Al Haig or Tony Aless, with Haig in a sextet that features vocals from Blossom Dearie, on a couple of collaborations with guitarist Jimmy Raney and in a classic if odd date with four other tenors (Al Cohn, Allen Eager, Brew Moore and Zoot Sims), all of whom sounded identical at the time. This two-fer (which contains several alternate takes) gives one a fine overview into the early days of Stan Getz.

Stan Getz with Jimmy Raney and Terry Gibbs

Early Stan

Tracks

1 Motion (Raney) 5:22

2 Lee (Raney) 4:19

3 Michelle, Pt. 1 (Gibbs, Rogers) 2:19

4 Michelle, Pt. 2 (Gibbs, Rogers) 2:17

5 Michelle [alternate take/*] (Gibbs, Rogers) 3:20

6 Michelle [alternate take/*] (Gibbs, Rogers) 3:32

7 T and S (Gibbs, Rogers) 2:48

8 Signal (Raney) 5:40

9 'Round Midnight (Hanighen, Monk, Williams 5:20

10 Terry's Tune (Gibbs, Rogers) 3:02

11 Terry's Tune [alternate take/*] (Gibbs, Rogers) 3:10

12 Terry's Tune [*] (Gibbs, Rogers) 3:04

13 Cuddles (Speedway) (Gibbs) 2:59

Personnel
[#1, 2, 8 & 9]

Stan Getz - ts

Jimmy Raney - g

Hall Overton - p

Red Mitchell - b

Frank Isola - dr

Recorded in New York ; April 23, 1953.

[Other selections]

Terry Gibbs - vb

Stan Getz - ts

Shorty Rogers - tp

Earl Swope - tb

George Wallington - p

Curley Russell - b

Shadow Wilson - dr

Recorded in New York ; March 14, 1949.

it has been long out of print and my LP just will not let me convert it in to flac or MP3 that has any quality after 3x
using click programs and tried every trick in the book I only still have as poor as the old LP's but still it's rare one of Stan's if any finds or has a good recoeding let Know I would love to get a better copy ...........

My buddy at http://bloomysunday.blogspot.com, was so kind to drop a copy. That sounds great for any media-player, MP3 format and here is the link for this just wonderful album.

Stan Getz Early Stan 1953
Stan Getz with Jimmy Raney and Terry Gibbs - Early Stan
Tracks:
01 - Motion (Raney) 5:22
02 - Lee (Raney) 4:19
03 - Michelle, Pt. 1 (Gibbs, Rogers) 2:19
04 - Michelle, Pt. 2 (Gibbs, Rogers) 2:17
05 - Michelle [alternate take/*] (Gibbs, Rogers) 3:20
06 - Michelle [alternate take/*] (Gibbs, Rogers) 3:32
07 - T and S (Gibbs, Rogers) 2:48
08 - Signal (Raney) 5:40
09 - 'Round Midnight (Hanighen, Monk, Williams 5:20
10 - Terry's Tune (Gibbs, Rogers) 3:02
11 - Terry's Tune [alternate take/*] (Gibbs, Rogers) 3:10
12 - Terry's Tune [*] (Gibbs, Rogers) 3:04
13 - Cuddles (Speedway) (Gibbs) 2:59

Personnel
[#1, 2, 8 & 9]
Stan Getz - ts Jimmy Raney - g Hall Overton - p Red Mitchell - b Frank Isola - dr
Recorded in New York ; April 23, 1953.
[Other selections]
Terry Gibbs - vb Stan Getz - ts Shorty Rogers - tp Earl Swope - tb George Wallington - p Curley Russell - b Shadow Wilson - dr
Recorded in New York ; March 14, 1949.

http://rapidshare.com/files/228956241/Getz_With_Jimmy_Raney.7z

http://rapidshare.com/files/228961841/Getz_With_Jimmy_

http://bloomysunday.blogspot.com/search/label/Stan%20Getz

Attachments:

Richard Ransom said:
Billie Holiday Billie Holiday at The Storyville Club (1951)
"This Billie Holiday set works for me in so many ways. The small combo playing behind her is simplicity and utility at its finest. The intimate supper club sound ( I love the introduction .)The slurring, just behind the beat vocals ( and this is latter day Billie, so what you get are the seasoned, almost world -weary vocals that are a bit deeper, but more nuanced). It features my favorite performance of I Cover the Waterfront ever. Ever. This is one cd I will turn to again and again, one that I could not do without and Very Highly Recommended. "
"Billie Holiday's voice is superb, and the musicians that back
her up keep it relaxed and genuine."

Credits:

Stan Getz / Billie Holiday
Billie Holiday (vocals)
Stan Getz (tenor sax)
Buster Harding (piano)
John Fields (bass)
Marquis Foster (drums)

Tracklist:

01 You're Driving Me Crazy
02 Lover Come Back To Me
03 Ain't Nobody's Bizz-Ness If I Do
04 He's Funny That Way
05 Billie's Blues
06 Miss Brown To You
07 Detour Ahead
08 Starnge Fruit
09 Aint Nobody Bizz-Ness If I Do
10 All Of Me
11 I Love You Porgy
12 Miss Brown To You
13 Billie's Blues
14 Lover Man
15 Them There Eyes
16 My Man
17 I Cover The Waterfront
18 Crazy He Calls Me
19 Lover Come Back To Me

Denis Ouellet said:
Billie Holiday and Stan Getz

Recorded at Storyville in Boston on
October 29 1951.

Stan backing up Billie Holiday. Of course Stan
is not taking any solos, strictly playing obligatos.

The tracks are

Ain't Nobody's Business, Lover Come Back To Me and
You're Driving Me Crazy.

5 min 51 seconds of music from Stan and Billie together.
That's all we have as far as I know.
Maybe somewhere some other recordings exist ?

The personnel is
Buster Harding piano, John Fields bass and Marquis Foster
drums.

From the Billie Holiday at Storyville CD

Denis
People Time - The Complete Recordings (7 CD set)
Stan Getz & Kenny Barron duo

Copenhagen (Danemark), Café Montmartre
March 3-6, 1991

The complete recordings are now available (nov. 2009)...

CD 1 :
1. Stan getz announcement
2. I'm okay
3. Gone with the wind
4. First song
5. Allison's waltz
6. Stablemates
CD 2 :
1. Autumn leaves
2. Yours and mine
3. (there is no) greater love
4. People time
5. The surrey with a fringe on top
6. Soul eyes
CD 3 :
1. Tuning
2. You dont' know what lov eis
3. You stepped out of a dream
4. Soul eyes
5. I wish you love (que reste-t-il de nos amours)
6. I'm okay
7. Night and day
CD 4 :
1. East of the sun (and west of the moon)
2. Con alma
3. People time
4. Stablemates
5. I remember clifford
6. Like someone in love
7. First song
8. The surrey with a fringe on top
9. Yours and mine
CD 5 :
1. The end of a love affair
2. Whisper not
4. I remember clifford
6. Bouncing with bud
7. Soul eyes
CD 6 :
2. Night and day
3. First song
4. Like someone in love
5. Stablemates
6. People time
CD 7 :
1. Stan getz annoucement
2. Softly as in a morning suunrise
3. I wish you love (que reste-t-il de nos amours)
4. Hush-a-bye
5. I'm okay
6. Con alma
7. Gone with the wind
9. Bonus track : night and day
Gee what a great posting having all these on in one collection simple fabulous. As a collector I do have all these recordings but not in a set so it is just to much temptation for me to turn this collection down, ordered my copy today...Thanks Pascal you sure now how to pull my weak strings [collectors nightmare] a new set!!

Pascal Savelon said:

March 3-6, 1991

CD 1 :
2. I'm okay
3. Gone with the wind
4. First song
5. Allison's waltz
6. Stablemates
CD 2 :
1. Autumn leaves
2. Yours and mine
4. People time
6. Soul eyes
CD 3 :
1. Tuning
4. Soul eyes
6. I'm okay
7. Night and day
CD 4 :
2. Con alma
3. People time
4. Stablemates
5. I remember clifford
6. Like someone in love
7. First song
9. Yours and mine
CD 5 :
2. Whisper not
4. I remember clifford
6. Bouncing with bud
7. Soul eyes
CD 6 :
2. Night and day
3. First song
4. Like someone in love
5. Stablemates
6. People time
CD 7 :
1. Stan getz annoucement
4. Hush-a-bye
5. I'm okay
6. Con alma
7. Gone with the wind
Here is a link to this Fine collection
http://www.amazon.com/People-Time-Stan-Kenny-Barron/dp/B002R7SCOK

Pascal Savelon said:

March 3-6, 1991

CD 1 :
2. I'm okay
3. Gone with the wind
4. First song
5. Allison's waltz
6. Stablemates
CD 2 :
1. Autumn leaves
2. Yours and mine
4. People time
6. Soul eyes
CD 3 :
1. Tuning
4. Soul eyes
6. I'm okay
7. Night and day
CD 4 :
2. Con alma
3. People time
4. Stablemates
5. I remember clifford
6. Like someone in love
7. First song
9. Yours and mine
CD 5 :
2. Whisper not
4. I remember clifford
6. Bouncing with bud
7. Soul eyes
CD 6 :
2. Night and day
3. First song
4. Like someone in love
5. Stablemates
6. People time
CD 7 :
1. Stan getz annoucement
4. Hush-a-bye
5. I'm okay
6. Con alma
7. Gone with the wind
Yeah Pascal about the People Time box set, just ordered mine a few days ago. (-:
Finally all of it is being released. The music and Stan's comments.
Collector's items.

Sippin At Bells

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Bev Getz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service