Stan Getz Community

Remembering Stan...

I am always on the lookout for rare or hard to find recordings from Stan.
This would be a great place to talk about our latest discoveries.

Well to start the ball rolling. About a month ago I was told about
the Gerald Wilson Big Band Modern reissue. 15 tracks altogether.
Tracks 1-8 are a reissue from a 1954 studio session. Tracks 9-15
are a previously unissued 1950 concert in San Francisco's Veterans Memorial
with guest stars Wardell Gray, Stan Getz and Zoot Sims.
Each one of these great sax players is given a showcase
tune and they finish the concert all blowing great solos and trading fours
on Hollywood Freeway.

Stan plays the beautiful "Out Of Nowhere". The way he quotes Broadway is just
too much;)

Denis

Views: 6008

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Stan Getz Early Stan 1953

This two-LP set includes seven sessions from 1949-50 and one from 1953 that feature the great tenor-saxophonist Stan Getz. Getz is heard with a Terry Gibbs septet, in quartets with either pianist Al Haig or Tony Aless, with Haig in a sextet that features vocals from Blossom Dearie, on a couple of collaborations with guitarist Jimmy Raney and in a classic if odd date with four other tenors (Al Cohn, Allen Eager, Brew Moore and Zoot Sims), all of whom sounded identical at the time. This two-fer (which contains several alternate takes) gives one a fine overview into the early days of Stan Getz.

Stan Getz with Jimmy Raney and Terry Gibbs

Early Stan

Tracks

1 Motion (Raney) 5:22

2 Lee (Raney) 4:19

3 Michelle, Pt. 1 (Gibbs, Rogers) 2:19

4 Michelle, Pt. 2 (Gibbs, Rogers) 2:17

5 Michelle [alternate take/*] (Gibbs, Rogers) 3:20

6 Michelle [alternate take/*] (Gibbs, Rogers) 3:32

7 T and S (Gibbs, Rogers) 2:48

8 Signal (Raney) 5:40

9 'Round Midnight (Hanighen, Monk, Williams 5:20

10 Terry's Tune (Gibbs, Rogers) 3:02

11 Terry's Tune [alternate take/*] (Gibbs, Rogers) 3:10

12 Terry's Tune [*] (Gibbs, Rogers) 3:04

13 Cuddles (Speedway) (Gibbs) 2:59

Personnel
[#1, 2, 8 & 9]

Stan Getz - ts

Jimmy Raney - g

Hall Overton - p

Red Mitchell - b

Frank Isola - dr

Recorded in New York ; April 23, 1953.

[Other selections]

Terry Gibbs - vb

Stan Getz - ts

Shorty Rogers - tp

Earl Swope - tb

George Wallington - p

Curley Russell - b

Shadow Wilson - dr

Recorded in New York ; March 14, 1949.

it has been long out of print and my LP just will not let me convert it in to flac or MP3 that has any quality after 3x
using click programs and tried every trick in the book I only still have as poor as the old LP's but still it's rare one of Stan's if any finds or has a good recoeding let Know I would love to get a better copy ...........
Herb Ellis Nothing But The Blues

Every Herb Ellis follower knows this one, and also knows that this album is easily one of his best in his lenghty career. But, did you know that it had also been released as "After Hours Session"? (See second cover).

"Guitarist Herb Ellis considers this is his favorite personal album and it is easy to see why. With trumpeter Roy Eldridge and tenor saxophonist Stan Getz contributing contrasting but equally rewarding solos and lots of inspired riffing while bassist Ray Brown and drummer Stan Levey join Ellis in the pianoless rhythm section, these performances have plenty of color and drive.Herb Ellis does indeed stick to the blues during the original eight selections yet there is also a surprising amount of variety. This CD reissue has been augmented by four numbers from 1958 originally recorded for a European soundtrack. Getz, Eldridge, and Coleman Hawkins all have their features but Dizzy Gillespie fares best."

Roy Eldridge trumpeter
Stan Getz tenor saxophonist
Ray Brown bassist
Stan Levey drummer
Coleman Hawkins
Dizzy Gillespie

Tracks 1-8 original LP issue.

1. Pap's Blues
2. Big Red's Boogie Woogie
3. Tin Roof Blues
4. Soft Winds
5. Royal Garden Blues
6. Patti Cake
7. Blues for Janet
8. Blues for Junior

Tracks 9-12 original 45-rpm EP issue: Les Tricheurs

9. Les Tricheurs
10. Clo's Blues
11. Phil's Tune
12. Mic's Jump

Some trivia.

You have probably seen "Blues For Junior" in countless Herb Ellis recordings. The reason is simple. This is his all-time favourite blues. This is a Ray Brown tune, and Junior is his son.
"Big Red's boogie woogie". Red is Herb Ellis himself.
"Patti Cake". Patti is Herb's wife.
"Blues for Janet". Janet is Herb's niece.
Don't ask about Pap in "Pap's blues"; not even Herb recalls his identity.

Amazing though it may sem, this album has been discontinued, and Amazon lists one copy at $91.45.

both are the same album

Richard Ransom said:
Here is a rare recording of Stan's
Cybill Shepherd - Mad About The Boy (1976)

Track listing

01. Triste (3:39)
02. I Can't Get Started (3:33)
03. Please Don't Talk About Me When I'm Gone (2:15)
04. This Masquerade (3:51)
05. Mad About The Boy (3:24)
06. I'm Old Fashioned (3:04)
07. It Never Entered My Mind (4:41)
08. Speak Low (3:00)
09. I'm Falling In Love Again (3:07)
10. Do It Again (4:13)

Artist List

Cybill Shepherd - Vocals
Stan Getz - Tenor Sax
Frank Rosolino - Trombone
Terry Trotter - Piano
Monty Budwig - Acoustic Bass
Octavio Bailly - Fender Bass
Claudio Sion - Drums
Joey Baron - Drums
Paulinho Da Costa - Percussion
Richard Spencer - Flute
Mike Altschul - Flute
Andreas Kostelas - Flute
Arthur Smith - Flute
Oscar Castro-Neves - Arrangements, Acoustic Guitars

http://jasapaal.blogspot.com/search/label/Stan%20Getz

Long out of print and for a very good reason it is not a very good album,Stan and Terry, Oscar were what made it bareable. The Musicians on this one must of really worked hard to make her sound any were near good!!!!
but still Stan was the out standing one for sure........Rick
I do have those albums, but all are converted to disk drive yet. I am working on that now. I like flac for the quaility and some are then converted to MP3 for sites like this one so I can share it all........
It's hard for me these days do to my over all health is not that good now,but I hope to get through the 3,000 or so albums to weed out all the Stan I can.......

Richard Ransom said:
I would like to thank you for your input I have been doing a great amount of research on the net and found so very much about Stan's side work and now have a real lot a albums to hunt down and get.My over all collection [Jazz] is very large and could not believe I was missing so much of Stan and his side work,but now have a very good insite on what I would like to get for my collection.. Thanks again Rick

Denis Ouellet said:
Hi Richard,

Luckily yes.
Early on in Los Angeles mid fifties
Recorded live at the Haig.

In the late fifties one recording date in Chicago.

Finally the Stockholm and Oslo concert in the early 80's.

All recordings easily available.

Denis

Richard Ransom said:
Did Stan ever play with Chet Baker? and if so What??
Richard Ransom said:
I do have those albums, but all are not converted to disk drive yet. I am working on that now. I like flac for the quaility and some are then converted to MP3 for sites like this one so I can share it all........
It's hard for me these days do to my over all health is not that good now,but I hope to get through the 3,000 or so albums to weed out all the Stan I can.......

Richard Ransom said:
I would like to thank you for your input I have been doing a great amount of research on the net and found so very much about Stan's side work and now have a real lot a albums to hunt down and get.My over all collection [Jazz] is very large and could not believe I was missing so much of Stan and his side work,but now have a very good insite on what I would like to get for my collection.. Thanks again Rick

Denis Ouellet said:
Hi Richard,

Luckily yes.
Early on in Los Angeles mid fifties
Recorded live at the Haig.

In the late fifties one recording date in Chicago.

Finally the Stockholm and Oslo concert in the early 80's.

All recordings easily available.

Denis

Richard Ransom said:
Did Stan ever play with Chet Baker? and if so What??
Richard Ransom said:
Herb Ellis Nothing But The Blues

Every Herb Ellis follower knows this one, and also knows that this album is easily one of his best in his lenghty career. But, did you know that it had also been released as "After Hours Session"? (See second cover).

"Guitarist Herb Ellis considers this is his favorite personal album and it is easy to see why. With trumpeter Roy Eldridge and tenor saxophonist Stan Getz contributing contrasting but equally rewarding solos and lots of inspired riffing while bassist Ray Brown and drummer Stan Levey join Ellis in the pianoless rhythm section, these performances have plenty of color and drive.Herb Ellis does indeed stick to the blues during the original eight selections yet there is also a surprising amount of variety. This CD reissue has been augmented by four numbers from 1958 originally recorded for a European soundtrack. Getz, Eldridge, and Coleman Hawkins all have their features but Dizzy Gillespie fares best."

Roy Eldridge trumpeter
Stan Getz tenor saxophonist
Ray Brown bassist
Stan Levey drummer
Coleman Hawkins
Dizzy Gillespie

Tracks 1-8 original LP issue.

1. Pap's Blues
2. Big Red's Boogie Woogie
3. Tin Roof Blues
4. Soft Winds
5. Royal Garden Blues
6. Patti Cake
7. Blues for Janet
8. Blues for Junior

Tracks 9-12 original 45-rpm EP issue: Les Tricheurs

9. Les Tricheurs
10. Clo's Blues
11. Phil's Tune
12. Mic's Jump

Some trivia.

You have probably seen "Blues For Junior" in countless Herb Ellis recordings. The reason is simple. This is his all-time favourite blues. This is a Ray Brown tune, and Junior is his son.
"Big Red's boogie woogie". Red is Herb Ellis himself.
"Patti Cake". Patti is Herb's wife.
"Blues for Janet". Janet is Herb's niece.
Don't ask about Pap in "Pap's blues"; not even Herb recalls his identity.

Amazing though it may sem, this album has been discontinued, and Amazon lists one copy at $91.45.

just a few more things about this Album

Tracks 1-8. recorded Oct. 11-12, 1956 in Hollywood.
Tracks 9-12 recorded May 1, 1958 in Paris.

Personnel:
Herb Ellis (Guitar)
Roy Eldridge (Trumpet)
Ray Brown (Double Bass)
Stan Getz (Tenor Saxophone)
Stan Levey (Drums) - 1-8
Dizzy Gillespie (Trumpet) - 9-12
Coleman Hawkins (Tenor Saxophone) - 9-12
Oscar Peterson (Piano) - 9-12
Gus Johnson (Drums) - 9-12

Stan Getz Eloquence 1954

My 12" LP that I yet to converted to MP3. But with very little info on this LP cover [and a little raged at that]I when to Verve Records Catalog: VSP-Verve series to find the restof the story! And was amazed to find The compalation line up changed so much....
I always thought Oscar Peterson Trio was the main rhythm section through out and boy how wrong I was about that.....And Harry "Sweets" Edison (tp) on Jumpin' At The Woodside I thought was Roy Eldridge (tp) again found that I was wrong.I need to check more with the Verve Records Catalog's for all the right personal on some other albums that had little to none info on it!!!!!
Hope You all find this info usefull boy I sure did.......

VSP 2 series

Stan Getz - Eloquence
Stan Getz (ts)
Jimmy Rowles (p)
Bob Whitlock (b)
Max Roach (d)
Los Angeles, CA, January 23, 1954
1496-6
I Hadn't Anyone Till You
Stan Getz (ts)
Lionel Hampton (vib)
Lou Levy (p)
Leroy Vinnegar (b)
Shelly Manne (d)
Radio Recorders, Hollywood, CA, August 1, 1955
2368-6
Cherokee
2371-1
Jumpin' At The Woodside
Harry "Sweets" Edison (tp)
Stan Getz (ts)
Gerry Mulligan (bars)
Oscar Peterson (p)
Herb Ellis (g)
Ray Brown (b)
Louis Bellson (d)
Capitol Studios, Vine Street, Hollywood, CA, August 1, 1957
21219-2
Ballad Medley: It Never Entered My Mind / Lush Life / Lullaby Of The Leaves / Makin' Whoopee
Roy Eldridge (tp)
Stan Getz (ts)
Herb Ellis (g)
Ray Brown (b)
Stan Levey (d)
Los Angeles, CA, October 11, 1957
21613-5
Blues For Janet
21618-4
Soft Winds
Oscar Peterson (p)
Connie Kay (d)
replaces Eldridge, Levey
"Opera House", Chicago, IL, October 19, 1957
62VK457
It Never Entered My Mind
Great post Richard. Thank you so much for all of this information.
Nice collection there (-:

Denis

Richard Ransom said:

Stan Getz Eloquence 1954

My 12" LP that I yet to converted to MP3. But with very little info on this LP cover [and a little raged at that]I when to Verve Records Catalog: VSP-Verve series to find the restof the story! And was amazed to find The compalation line up changed so much....
I always thought Oscar Peterson Trio was the main rhythm section through out and boy how wrong I was about that.....And Harry "Sweets" Edison (tp) on Jumpin' At The Woodside I thought was Roy Eldridge (tp) again found that I was wrong.I need to check more with the Verve Records Catalog's for all the right personal on some other albums that had little to none info on it!!!!!
Hope You all find this info usefull boy I sure did.......

VSP 2 series

Stan Getz - Eloquence
Stan Getz (ts)
Jimmy Rowles (p)
Bob Whitlock (b)
Max Roach (d)
Los Angeles, CA, January 23, 1954
1496-6
I Hadn't Anyone Till You
Stan Getz (ts)
Lionel Hampton (vib)
Lou Levy (p)
Leroy Vinnegar (b)
Shelly Manne (d)
Radio Recorders, Hollywood, CA, August 1, 1955
2368-6
Cherokee
2371-1
Jumpin' At The Woodside
Harry "Sweets" Edison (tp)
Stan Getz (ts)
Gerry Mulligan (bars)
Oscar Peterson (p)
Herb Ellis (g)
Ray Brown (b)
Louis Bellson (d)
Capitol Studios, Vine Street, Hollywood, CA, August 1, 1957
21219-2
Ballad Medley: It Never Entered My Mind / Lush Life / Lullaby Of The Leaves / Makin' Whoopee
Roy Eldridge (tp)
Stan Getz (ts)
Herb Ellis (g)
Ray Brown (b)
Stan Levey (d)
Los Angeles, CA, October 11, 1957
21613-5
Blues For Janet
21618-4
Soft Winds
Oscar Peterson (p)
Connie Kay (d)
replaces Eldridge, Levey
"Opera House", Chicago, IL, October 19, 1957
62VK457
It Never Entered My Mind
Another All-Stars...

Havana Jam II

CBS Jazz All-Stars with:
Woody Shaw (tp)
Hubert Laws (fl)
Arthur Blythe (as)
Stan Getz, Dexter Gordon, Jimmy Heath (ts)
Bobby Hutcherson (vib, mar)
Cedar Walton (p)
Percy Heath (b)
Tony Williams (d)
Willie Bobo (perc)

Karl-Marx Theatre, Havana, Cuba, March 3-5, 1979

Stan is heard only on the following tracks

1. Polka Dots And Moonbeams (two different versions with only the rhythm section, Dexter plays first, Stan plays next)
2. Tin Tin Deo

Hi everyone,this one is not rare but I think is the best of all of them. Stan Getz and Oscar Peterson Trio "The Silver Collection" (1957)
the Stuart Broomer review Say's about all that needed to be said when I first ran across it 8 or 9 years ago.Then I opened up the notepad in the file the other day and thought after so long of always coming back to this album it need my input.Yes I do love this a lot but I started to write a review I am now convinced it is the best.Here's Stuart's first then mine.
Stan Getz and Oscar Peterson were both very consummate performers, comfortable at any tempo, when they met for this 1957 recording, and they're clearly enjoying one anther's skills on ballads and uptempo tunes alike. The group is one of the finest editions of Peterson's trios, with bassist Ray Brown and guitarist Herb Ellis. It's virtually a machine for quiet swing, and the absence of a drummer lets Getz's silky sound come to the fore with all its details intact. For all his fame as a virtuosic pianist, Peterson is an underrated accompanist. He complements a soloist with deft fills and unobtrusive propulsion, and the backgrounds he supplies here are as subtle as his solos are extroverted. The program is a good mix of standards and Getz originals, including the joyous "Tour's End," while the extended ballad medley could define jazz lyricism. There's also a brief but infectious version of Herb Ellis's "Detour Ahead," the guitarist's early and highly successful foray into songwriting. --Stuart Broomer

"This album presents a very important collaboration. Stan Getz may be the most lyrical tenor saxophone player to have ever graced the face of the earth. Only Lester Young comes close. Prez modeled his sound on that of Frankie Trumbauer's C-melody saxophone, and Stan Getz' model is the Prez. Both of them transcend Trumbauer's syrupy improvisations. Getz' tone and the lyricism it supports are evident. All of this is for context, of course. This recording is truly a major musical event. It was on a par with Lester Young's famous collaborations with Teddy Wilson and Oscar Peterson. During this 1957 recording session, Oscar Peterson's trio and Stan Getz were more than comfortable with one another, and their mutual musical respect yielded classic performances . The cooperation is evident in Stan Getz' solo on "I Want to Be Happy," a model of precision and lyrical invention. Oscar Peterson's solos are equally impressive; there's no unnecessary embellishment or decoration, and he swings powerfully. The long ballad medley--"Bewitched, Bothered, and Bewildered," "I Don't Know Why, I Just Do," "How Long Has This Been Going On?", "I Can't Get Started," and "Polka Dots and Moonbeams"--features fine solos by Stan Getz and Osacr Peterson as well as Herb Ellis on guitar and Ray Brown on bass. In the interplay between the trio and Stan Getz in such numbers as Stan Getz' "Bronx Blues." the quartet sounds like a permanent group. In "Three Little Words" Herb Ellis sets down a solid rhythm and Osacr Peterson comps behind Stan Getz' opening solo before delivering an eloquent statement of his own which Stan Getz answers with equal grace. The Getz-Peterson collaboration is particularly appealing on Herb Ellis' "Detour Ahead," a prime instance of their treatment of ballad material. On "Sunday" Ray Brown's persistent bass and Herb Ellis' percussive guitar support Stan Getz admirably. The quartet even approximates a rhythm'n blues song with Stan Getz' "Blues for Herky." It's not every day that you hear Herb Ellis playing blues guitar with Oscar Peterson doing boogie woogie and Stan Getz blowing like he was in a jump band. But here it is, and it comes as a surprise bonus with some really superb jazz."

This album is very soothing and relaxing. The emphasis is definitely on Stan Getz; he plays over Oscar's piano, so it's more Stan Getz than the Oscar Peterson Trio. If you're a fan of Stan Getz, you'll love this album."

"This is hands-down, the best Jazz Album I've ever owned. Whether sitting in front of the speakers with eyes closed, absorbing every note, or using it as unobtrusive (but swingin') background music while I work, this album shines. [If you're an audio snob who expects every last KHz of treble to be there, you will be disappointed. The audio quality is only on par with a good cassette tape, but the music more than makes up for it."]Richard Ransom

01 I Want To Be Happy
02 Pennies From Heaven
03 Medley Bewitched I Don't Know Why How Long
04 I'm Glad There Is You
05 Tour's End
06 I Was Doing All Right
07 Bronx Blues
08 Three Little Words
09 Detour Ahead
10 Sunday
11 Blues For Herky
Another radio broadcast.
From the North Sea Jazz Festival
PWA Hall, The Hague, Netherlands
July 14, 1989

Stan Getz - tenor sax
Kenny Barron - piano
Yasuhito Mori - bass
Ben Riley - drums

set 1
1. Voyage (K.Barron) 9:44
2. Soul Eyes (M.Waldron) 7:38
3. Stella By Starlight (V.Young) 11:30
4. Just Friends (J.Kern, S.Lewis) 7:36
5. Warm Valley (D.Ellington) 7:18
6. Stan’s Blues (G.Gryce) 7:26

set 2
1. Voyage (K.Barron) 10:53
2. Yours And mine (T.Jones) 7:39
3. Just Friends (J.Kern, S.Lewis) 10:26
4. Yesterday’s (J.Kern) 9:41
5. Soul Eyes (M.Waldron) 7:41
6. Juanne Julia (K.Barron) 8:06

Two beautiful sets. The music was just flowing out.
The group was so tight. The music is flawless.

By the way we have the honor of having M. Mori with us on the forums.
His bass playing on this is just marvellous.

Denis

Just Friends

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Badge

Loading…

© 2024   Created by Bev Getz.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service